Should a developer apply db patches?

From: Sophie Schaaf <eschaaf_at_goodegg.com>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 10:08:11 -0500

Hello all,

I am an applications developer (which I love doing), but my current employer wants me to start helping out with some of the DBA work around here.

I don't want to turn into a full-time DBA, so I'd like to keep my DBA work limited. I am thinking about proposing that I take over the loading of patches onto our system.

Is this something that someone with little to no DBA knowledge can do? Or is there too much troubleshooting required to make the patches work?

Also, what are the general steps required in patch applying. Is it some process that I can start & just keep an eye on while I'm doing other development work?

If Patches are too complex, what is another area that someone can just "aid" a DBA in. I don't really want to be in any desission making position.

Many thanks for any input! Received on Wed May 03 2000 - 10:08:11 CDT