Re: OEM: Anyone actually use it as an event monitor?

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_bcbso.com>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 17:28:29 -0700 (PDT)

Jay,

It isn't just the DBA being new.

OEM is a real pain in the $@!#!

I haven't set it up myself, but I work right next to an experienced DBA that has been working to set it up.

It was very troublesome, and still does not work correctly.

I'm with you, I use shell/perl/SqlPlus/PLSQL to monitor and notify and log.

It is *much* easier to troubleshoot, more reliable, and has a fairly small footprint.

This method has the added benefit of not requiring a PC with windows to run it. i.e. *much* more reliable.

OEM has limited usefulness in my opinion. You need it to admin Oracle Names, Oracle Security Server, and it may simplify the administration of some other tasks.

Jared

On Wed, 3 May 2000, Jay Weinshenker wrote:

> Heya.
>
> At my current installation, the other DBAs are trying to set up OEM to
> provide notification if databases or certain services (such as forms
> server, web server, concurrent managers, etc.) go down. This is over
> roughly 12 machines and 30 or so instances.
>
> They've been trying to use OEM, but the problem is that what works one time
> doesn't work at all the next - very irritating. To add to this, the DBA
> who got the unfortunate job of setting this up (I apologize, but I hate OEM
> stuff - I like unix scripting instead) is somewhat new to the DBA world, so
> its also a question of if it's him or OEM...
>

> So the question is, does anyone out on the list actually have experience
> with using OEM to monitor if databases are up and down? Anyone configured
> it to work with firewalls?
>
> TIA,

> Author: Jay Weinshenker
> INET: jweinshe_at_concentric.net

Jared Still
Certified Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist ;-) Regence BlueCross BlueShield of Oregon
jkstill_at_bcbso.com - Work - preferred address Received on Wed May 03 2000 - 19:28:29 CDT