RE: Tune for 'db file sequential read'

From: Khedr, Waleed <Waleed.Khedr_at_FMR.COM>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 19:10:46 -0400

I think the problem is doing thousands of index scans (unique or range scan).
Doing thousands of random single block I/O is very sensitive to the performance of the disk system, the memory cache on the top of the disk system, the structure of the index and the size of buffer cache.

Increasing the buffer cache could help but will be very limited. Check the performance of the disks that have indexes, percentage busy, queue length, etc.
Separate heavily used indexes on separate disks.

Also your process could be using index scan on the slow system while it is using FTS on the fast one.

Regards,

Waleed

Author: Deepak Sharma
  INET: sharmakdeep_at_yahoo.com