Custom Development Management (CA/Platinum's Enterprise DBA) -

From: Jay Weinshenker <jweinshe_at_concentric.net>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 13:50:49 -0500

Heya.

Normally I wear the hat of an Oracle Applications DBA, and hence have custom development only a peripheral task.

However, on my current project, we are dealing with a large custom development component, and I'm looking to the list for opinions on how we should manage it.

Background.

We are currently 50-60% done with our development. Up until this point, we've been using Designer as our repository and using it to manage our versioning and such. The problem we're running into is that we are just now (I know, I know) beginning to develop a proper promotion environment for our development. We plan to have our developers have a 'sandbox' database where they can work on developing their code. After they feel comfortable with it, we will then promote the code to our Unit Testing (UTEST) environment where that component is tested. Providing the changes pass test(s) in the UTEST environment, the changes will then be promoted to our Integration Testing (ITEST) environment where the component will be tested with the other components it interacts with. Providing the changes pass test(s) in the ITEST environment, the changes will then be promoted to our System Testing (STEST) environment where the component will be tested as part of system wide operability. Providing the changes pass this final stage, they will be promoted to our Pre-Production (PPROD) environment which is the final step.

The project deals with hundreds/thousands of custom packages, tables, triggers, forms, etc. We're finding that Designer isn't doing as well of a job managing everything as we would like it to... that might be due to a lack of knowledge about Designer, I just don't know.

One of the people on the project suggested CA/Platinum's Enterprise DBA package as a way to manage all of this. I have no experience with it, so I'm turning to the lists for advice/recommendations...

TIA for any help you can provide. Received on Tue May 02 2000 - 13:50:49 CDT