RE: Unix question

From: I.S. Manager <ismgr_at_pctc.com>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2000 09:13:59 -0700

without knowing too much about your setup, this type of behaviour will happen if a process still has the file open. When you delete a file in unix, you are only removing the directory entry. The inode (and therefore the used space) doesn't go away until its link count drops to zero (no directory entries) *and* its usage count drops to zero (not in use by any process).

At 08:45 AM 5/1/00 -0800, Ben Poels wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Unix may still think that the files are locked by an Oracle process.
>First shutdown the database. Then kill any oracle processes that remain
>even after the shutdown.
>If the free space still does not show up then a re-boot will be necessary.
>
>Ben Poels
>Queen's University
>Kingston, Ontario
>(613)533-2449