Re: Standby database v. advanced replication.

From: Rachel Carmichael <carmichr_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2000 18:51:27 GMT

Your standby database will only be as accurate and up-to-date as the last archived log you managed to send over to that site. Replication can keep you absolutely up-to-date (via synchronous replication) but if you lose the network you have to manually correct and resolve issues. OPS will not help if you lose the disks.

As for going back from a standby site, I would turn the primary site into a standby site and "fail over" gracefully (i.e., do an alter system archive log all before a shutdown of the database). Then all your logs will be there and the primary can be restored to the minute. Some downtime when going back but....

Look through Metalink for papers on standby database by Lawrence To, he has one on "graceful switchover". There's also my paper on 24x7 on the www.oracle-users.com site at http://www.oracle-users.com/dba.htm

Rachel