Re: RMAN register database problem ...

From: Anil Sikri <anil_sikri_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 17:41:16 CDT

Dear list members,

>> > I have created a catalog database name : rcat, Connect string:
>>fis_test_rcat.
>> > The test database Name : rtest, Connect String: fis_test_rtest.
>> > Both are Oracle 8.1.5 databases(64 bit) residing on the same box(HP-UX
>>11.0).
>> >
>> > I have created user rman/rman in "rcat" database with default
>>tablespace
>> > rcvcat_ts and granted recovery_catalog_owner to rman, also granted
>>connect,
>> > resource to rman.
>> >
>> > I have created recovery catalog as follows:
>> > $ rman (rman log=create_rman.log is not working, it simply hangs)
>> > RMAN> connect catalog rman/rman_at_fis_test_rcat
>> > RMAN> create catalog tablespace rcvcat_ts;
>> >
>> > Now, I need to register "rtest" database in "rcat".
>> > When I issue the command suggested in the manual:
>> > $ rman target / catalog rman/rman_at_fis_test_rcat , I get the following
>>messages.
>> > RMAN-06005 Connected to target database: RCAT(DBID: 166860994)
>> > RMAN-06008 Connected to recovery catalog database.
>> > RMAN>
>> >
>> > My target database is RTEST and not RCAT. The above stmt at RMAN-06005
>>says
>> > my target database is RCAT. I tried many ways to connect both target
>> > database and catalog database inorder to register the target database
>> > "RTEST" in catalog database "RCAT". But none of the stmts are
>>connecting
>> > the target database.
>> >
>> > How can I register the target database "RTEST" in catalog database
>>"RCAT"?
>> > Any help is appreciated.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > -- Janardhana Babu

Janardhan,

          I assume you are using O/S authentication since the RMAN
          recovery catalog and the target database are on the same
          machine.
          I think I know why you are not able to connect to the
          target database :

          1) Make sure that before invoking RMAN, the ORACLE_SID has
             been set to the target database ( ORACLE_SID = rtest ).
             I have a feeling that your current ORACLE_SID is set to
             rcat instead of rtest which is why RMAN is assuming your
             target database is rcat.
             Now try rman target / catalog rman/rman_at_fis_test_rcat
             and it should work.

          2) If the above approach doesn't help, try using password file
             instead. The password file method can be used in your case
             as well as when the recovery catalog is on a remote
             machine. Follow these steps to disable O/S authentication
             and enable password file :
                a)  export ORACLE_SID=rtest ( target database )
                b)  Disable the O/S authentication by setting
                    REMOTE_OS_AUTHENTICATION = FALSE in the parameter
                    file of the target database ( rtest )
                c)  Now, create a password file using :
                    orapwd file=$ORACLE_HOME/dbs/orapw
                    password=<PASSWORD> entries = 3
                    Note : You should name the password file orapw
                           without which you will have problems ( at
                           least I did ).
               d)  Connect to the target database using :
                   rman catalog rman/rman_at_fis_test_rcat
                   target sys/<sys_passwd_of_target_db>@fis_test_rtest

After connecting, you should be able to register the target database. Let me know if you have any problems.

Anil Sikri
Sr. Oracle DBA