Re: bitmap index Q.

From: Charlie Mengler <>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 14:09:30 -0700

Our experience with bitmapped indexes is "mixed". I suggest that you do the following -

1) Make note of the size of the bit mapped index after a clean rebuild
2) Do the inserts & such.
3) Make note of the size of the bit mapped index
You'll likely see a LARGE, LARGE increase in the size of the bit mapped index.

We reported this behavior to Oracle. They said to drop the index prior to the inserts & rebuild then once the inserts are done.

HTH! wrote:
> Hola!
> One of our data marts here had awful performance yesterday. The only thing that
> was different between yesterday and the previous days was that the load ran with
> all indexes, including bitmaps, on the tables. Only 10,000 rows were added -
> less than 1% change. The analyze was run for all tables to be hit by the
> reports. However performance really bit yesterday until the indexes were
> dropped and rebuilt.
> In class I remember talking about the tradeoff between a fast load/building
> indexes and a slow load/leaving indexes up. Has anyone seen this type of
> behavior before? I can not say for sure that the load is not updating the
> fields the bitmap indexes were on.
> Any comments are appreciated.
> Lisa 'Almost Certified' Koivu
> --
> Author:

Charlie Mengler                       Maintenance Warehouse                      5505 Morehouse Drive
858-552-6229                          San Diego, CA 92121
If you don't use vi, then you shouldn't be working on UNIX!