Re: RMAN

From: Ruth Gramolini <rgramolini_at_tax.state.vt.us>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 09:08:46 -0400

First you should upgrade to 8.0.5 with whatever patches are available for you operating system. After that RMAN is great. RMAN on 8.0.4 is a bit buggy.

There is a gui front end in OEM called Backup Manager. You can do online backups, 5 levels of incremental backups, and backup your archived logs into a backupset so you can delete them from the archivelog destination. (I am assuming you will use a recovery catalog altho it is not absolutely necessary.)

There is some time required to learn rman but the time spent is well worth it.

I would be happy to answer any other questions you have. You can email me directly at the address below.

Regards,
Ruth B. Gramolini
ORACLE DBA
VT Dept. of Taxes