Re: users created by oracle: ordsys, outln, mdsys, etc (fwd)

From: <sean.hull_at_pobox.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 00:21:00 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 25 Apr 2000, Guang Mei wrote:

> I thought I should only saw 'SYS' and 'SYSTEM'. Does anyone know how the
> other users got created. We do have OEM running against the database. Would
> there be a problem if I drop them?

Guang:

I don't know what all of them are for, but ordsys is for the Oracle Image Cartridge. mdsys is related too, as I recall. Also, if you see objects in there starting with VIR_, it stands for Visual Information Retrieval Cartridge. All of this falls under the umbrella heading Oracle Intermedia, which also includes ConText, Spatial, and Time Series cartridges.

I had the opportunity to work with the Image and VIR cartridge recently when I installed Virage VideoLogger. It's VERY cool software. Among other things, it allows you to store metadata about video content, text (from closed caption tracks), and generates thumbnails (called keyframes). All this stuff it stores in Oracle, and VOILA, you have searchable video content. It doesn't store the video itself in the db, just the metadata, and links, which allow you to jump right to the moment in the video.

Combine this with the web and you have some very powerful new indexing capabilities, where formerly you had a warehouse full of tapes!

No, I don't work for Virage. Received on Wed Apr 26 2000 - 23:21:00 CDT