Re: ORA-01450 maximum key length exceeded

From: A. Bardeen <abardeen_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 22:35:17 EDT

Walter,

The key length is limited by the db block size as a key value can't span multiple blocks, so it's the varchar(2000) column that's the main problem. I suspect that your new db has a 2K block size, but the db from which it was exported was using a larger block size. Keep in mind that the key value must be smaller than the db block size for overhead.

Unfortunately the only way to create this index is to recreate the db with a larger blocksize as you can't decrease the column size unless the column is empty.

HTH,