Re: Query performance with several indexes on a table

From: <shawc_at_willis.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 15:06:34 +0100

Keith:

I wouldn't go so far as to say "adversely", but obviously the more indices on a table, the more options the CBO must (initially) review. Not a big deal, though. So basically, I'd say he's full of it. Does he give any supporting evidence or just "I think I heard/read/made it up to confuse people, that...?"

Colin.

Please respond to Keith Moore <kmoore_at_zephyrus.com>

To: "oracle list" <oracle_at_telelists.com> cc:
bcc:

Subject: Query performance with several indexes on a table

Another DBA is telling me that having more than 3 or 4 indexes on a table adversely affects query performance. Has anyone heard of this?

I understand updates being slower, but why queries? Or is he just full of it?

Thanks,
Keith

// Keith Moore
// Zephyrus Software, Inc.
// Oracle, Java, C/C++ consulting

//

// FREE Oracle Alert Log Viewer at:
// http://www.zephyrus.com

The information in this email and in any attachments is confidential and may be

      privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, please destroy this
      message, delete any copies held on your systems and notify the sender
      immediately.  You should not retain, copy or use this email for any
      purpose, nor disclose all or any part of its content to any other person.