Should I limit the size of the FileSystem Buffer cache

From: Guy Dallaire <dallaire_at_total.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 11:07:59 -0500 (EST)

Hello,

I'm using Digital UNIX 3.2D with Oracle 7.2.3 in an ADVFS file system environment. My server is used mostly as a Database server in a FORMS 4.5 client/server setup. There is some batch (Pro*C) oracle processing occuring from time to time. There is no developpers on the machine, oracle is the main application along with polycenter scheduler. From time to time, scripts have to sort big amounts of flat files. I have 256Mb of RAM and I Oracle instance.

I DON'T use raw devices nor LSM. Someone told me that I should try to reduce the amount of memory allocated to the silesystem buffer cache anyway because it is dynamic by default and it could penalize performance. Is that true ? If so, how do I determine the amount of memory to dedicate to the UNIX buffer cache and is there any other things I should know about this ?

                                        Thanks !

Guy Dallaire
dallaire_at_total.net

"God only knows if god exists" Received on Fri Jan 10 1997 - 11:58:40 CST