Re: Windows NT

From: Tribble Dave <DLT3716_at_KCPL.COM>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1996 13:26:00 PST

I've installed Oracle Version 7.1 and 7.2 on NT platforms without too much trouble however I ran into some items of interest: I had no problems installing/createing databases with V7.1 on an Intergraph SMP 4-way pentuim machine. However, I could not create a database with the same software on a Compaq 2-way server. When trying to run the SQL to create the data dictionary views, I would get a screen from "Dr. Watson" , a trace file was created and I lost my connection to the database. The V7.2 seemed to work OK on the Compaq.

On install I do not create a database, so I'm not sure how this works.  Rather, I just load the software then create databases at a later point.

We have multiple instances running on the same machine. You should be able to use the "instance manager" to create a service handle for your new instance (LIMIT of 4 CHARACTERS for your instance's name!)

Once created, I go to a DOS prompt, set my ORACLE_SID to match this name and invoke sqldba (sqldba71 lmode=tru) in line mode. I then run a script to create my database, looks something like this:

spool \orant\xxxx\dbbuild.out
connect internal/xxxxxxx
startup nomount pfile=\orant\xxxx\initxxxx.ora create database xxxx
controlfile reuse
logfile
group 1
('c:\oracle\xxxx\xxxx.log.001',
'd:\oracle\xxxx\xxxx.log.001') SIZE 5M reuse,
group 2
('c:\oracle\xxxx\xxxx.log.002',
'd:\oracle\xxxx\xxxx.log.002') SIZE 5M reuse,
group 3
('c:\oracle\xxxx\xxxx.log.003',
'd:\oracle\xxxx\xxxx.log.003') SIZE 5M reuse
datafile
'd:\oracle\xxxx\system.dbf.001' size 40M REUSE
maxlogfiles 255
maxinstances 63
maxdatafiles 254;

@c:\orant\rdbms71\admin\catalog
@c:\orant\rdbms71\admin\catproc
@c:\orant\dbs\pupbld

spool off

Seems to work OK for me.

From: owner-oracle-l
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L Subject: Windows NT
Date: Wednesday, March 06, 1996 1:07PM

Hi,

My company recently purchased Oracle7.1 Workgroup Server for Windows NT and things are not going too smoothly. Hence, I am turning to this mailing list hoping to find some answers. I subscribe to other lists and have found them extremely helpful and I'm sure this one will prove the same. And by the
way, I just subscribed today so I apologize if my questions are re-treads.

First of all, we found the installation of 7.1 on NT extremely difficult and we were performing the basic, "typical install". After several calls and mail messages to Oracle, we finally got it installed. Some Oracle folks seemed to think it was our NT environment, however I thinks it was problems in the Oracle installation. Any comments?

Also, we find it troublesome that "Oracle highly recommends that you use the initial database and expand it, if necessary, rather than creating a database yourself." page 3-6 of Version 7.1 for Windows NT User's Guide. That would be fine if we only wanted to maintain one database, but we will be maintaining several. Because of this, we've been trying to create our own database and this has not gone too well. Could someone please comment on Instances, databases and the control files associated?

A couple more things...

        Are there any recommended books, publications, etc. specific to
        the NT environment?

        Has anyone installed version 7.2 on NT?  If so, is it any easier
        than 7.1?

Thank you in advance for any comments and suggestions.  -Dave Kass (BSR) Received on Wed Mar 06 1996 - 14:49:32 CST