Re[2]: Z39.50

From: David Godfrey <David_Godfrey_at_CONAK1CC_at_SMTP.CONTINUUM.CO.NZ>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 1996 11:42:51 NZT

     Hello Pete,

     All Z39.50 is - is a protocol.

     So if you want to communicate with Z39.50 compliant datasources, you
     don't have to know their internal structure. If you want to query the
     other datasource, you can use the Z39.50 protocol field called
     'TITLE'(really numeric), which should query the main entry in the
     datasources catalogue and return records of the hits. Or the protocol
     field called 'author'...

     Exactly like any protocol - to genericise communication.

     Any clearer - I'll look up some Website URL if you want,

     David Godfrey
     dgodfrey_at_continuum.co.nz

Subject: Re: Z39.50
Author: "ORACLE database mailing list." <ORACLE-L_at_CCVM.SUNYSB.EDU> at INTERNET Date: 07/03/1996 10:47 AM

Folks,

Once again I must reveal my ignorance - what is Z39.50?

Pete

On Wed, 6 Mar 1996, David Godfrey wrote:

> Hello Dina,
>
> In my previous life, the application I worked on implemented a working
> version of Z39.50 - infact it's being used in a couple of European
> projects - one of which has a site in Greece - University of
> Thessoliniki [sp?]. It's successfully working with connections from
> the application. Oracle DB, to MacDonnell Douglas library apps, to
> GEAC....
>
> The Z39.50 implementation wasn't done via Forms, but via a separate
> request processor and C++.
>
> I wouldn't recommend looking at forms as a good interface to this sort
> of protocol - there are cheap Z39.50 front ends out there - I can't
> remember their names, but they cost about US$50 a throw.
>

> Hope this helps
>
> David Godfrey
>
> dgodfrey_at_continuum.co.nz

 INTERNET