Re: Sqlloader: Can data be loaded unsorted?

From: John Flack <johnf_at_SYNMHS.USA.COM>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1996 09:05:02 -0500

> When loading data with SQLLOAD, can the loader be told to leave the order of
> the input records unchanged?
>
> Example/ I have a text file that has a list of records. A later record in the
> file, in many cases, updates a previous record. Therefore, the order in which
> the data is loaded is very important.
>
> I've tried just a simple load of the data. That did not work, I believe,
> because of the way that Oracle manages free space in blocks, etc.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> TIA
>
> Dave Harkness
> harknes_at_hsd.utc.com

Although you cannot guarantee a particular order of rows in the database, SQL*Loader does read them from your flat file in order. I suggest adding a column to the table(s) that you are loading to contain a number for the original sequence of records in the file. SQL*Loader CAN assign sequencial values to a column as it INSERTs into the table, so this column would preserve your original order. Received on Tue Mar 05 1996 - 09:24:36 CST