Re: Sqlloader: Can data be loaded unsorted?

From: larry prince <lap_at_LDSA.COM>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 1996 15:59:44 EST

you can also try including a sequence when you load them

From: David_Godfrey_at_CONAK1CC_at_SMTP.CONTINUUM.CO.NZ Date: 5 Mar 96
Subject: Re: Sqlloader: Can data be loaded unsorted? To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_ccvm.sunysb.edu>

     Hello David,

     The only way you can guarantee the order of data, is via the order by
     you use to query. You can not assume anthing about the stored order of
     the data, as this is totally dependant on the physical storage space,
     which may/will not be entirely contiguous.

     SQL Loader can only load the records in sequentially from a flat file,
     so if you have later records trying to update earlier ones - they
     should be in the file order on loading.

     David Godfrey

     dgodfrey_at_continuum.co.nz

When loading data with SQLLOAD, can the loader be told to leave the order of
the input records unchanged?

Example/ I have a text file that has a list of records. A later record in the
file, in many cases, updates a previous record. Therefore, the order in which
the data is loaded is very important.

I've tried just a simple load of the data. That did not work, I believe, because of the way that Oracle manages free space in blocks, etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA Dave Harkness
harknes_at_hsd.utc.com

--