Re: Multi_master replication: Replicating USERS

From: Tony Jambu 041 985 2628 <tjambu_at_FALCON.TELECOM.COM.AU>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1996 18:48:56 -0500

Good to hear from you

> To do this for a 'standby' (not replicated) database, I have used a 'user
> creation' script that accepts the username and pwd from prompts and
> executes all the commands (create, alter, grant) against both databases.
> There are obvious limitations to this, not least of which is the need to
> check periodically for pwd updates that may have happened outside of
> program control and non-script user alterations. The check could be run
> externally (cron) or under dbms_jobs.
>
> Have you considered a trigger? A trigger could get around an
> 'immediately available' login requirement on the 2nd database, but I've
> not attempted to create a trigger of this nature. I'm also not positive
> if Oracle's encryption algorithm is the same from version to version,
> so I'd be sure the changes translated correctly if I had multiple versions!

I dont think you are allowed to create a trigger on a SYS table. After thinking about it, I have decided to use Oracle's own replicate DDL command procedure to do it. It is similar to replicating all DDL for a given schema.

Thanks for your idea.

ta
tony

--

 _____       ________ / ___|Tony Jambu, Database Consultant
  /_  _        /_ __ /     |Wizard Consulting,Aust (ACN 065934778)