Re: Oracle backups using SQL-BackTrack

From: GENARU.LRS_LT <GENARU_at_RC.LRS.LT>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 11:38:43 +0200

--Boundary-2452-0-0

Hi John!

I am currently evaluating SQL-BackTrack 1.1.7 for Oracle under Sun Solaris 2.5. I use it against Oracle 7.1.6 database.

Already at first trials I discovered this product reporting strange shared memory failures, although I have my machine preconfigured for Oracle and can easily run two separate instances. Because of these errors my screen was overflowed by ugly error warnings, and dtwatch (backups monitor utility) refused to work at all. Notice that accompanying documentation did not have no word about shared memory requirements (whenever Oracle does).

Another bad thing was the fact that I could not synchronize backup profile with database after Oracle user password change. BackTrack reported my database being down when actually it was up and running.

When I called support, it could say nothing special about shared memory configuration requirements. It also reported that in second case I have hit 'well-known' bug and it will be fixed in the next release of BackTrack.

After that I was very happy that I had only free evaluation copy and not the purchased one.

With regards,
Gediminas

| Gediminas Narusevicius |
| Systems/Database Administrator |
| Computer Data Processing Department |
| Seimas (Parliament) of the Republic of Lithuania |
| Address: Gedimino Ave. 53, Vilnius, Lithuania |
| Phone: 3702/227672 |
| Fax: 3702/224698 |
| E-mail: genaru_at_rc.lrs.lt |

--Boundary-2452-0-0

Date: 21 Feb 96 14:36:47
From:"John Baylis " <jbaylis_at_CANFOR.CA> To: Multiple,recipients,of,list,ORACLE-L,ORACLE-L_at_ccvm.sunysb.edu Subject: Oracle backups using SQL-BackTrack Reply-to: ORACLE-L_at_ccvm.sunysb.edu

Hi,

We are currently in the process of implementing corporate wide backups of pc's and servers (NT and UNIX) using 'Harbor' software from Interlink.

Incremental and full backups of Oracle tables and databases are supported via a product called 'SQL-BackTrack'.

Does anyone out there have any experiences (both good and bad) with this product?

TIA

John Baylis,  Database Administrator           Tel: (604)661-5310
Canadian Forest Products Ltd.                  Fax: (604)661-5440
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada          eMail:jbaylis_at_canfor.ca

--Boundary-2452-0-0-- Received on Thu Feb 22 1996 - 04:57:22 CST