CASE Instance -Reply

From: GARY MELHAFF <GMJJ490_at_GWGATE.WADNR.GOV>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 08:52:11 -0800

One argument for a separate database is that if you have to do multiple installs of Des2000, it severely fragments your system tablespace. It completely hosed our database one time because of this. Remember that version changes are frequent.

Another might be the sheer volume of objects which it creates.

Another might be that the des2000 owner has rights only sys normally has. It does direct updates, inserts, deletes from sys tables. Scary huh?

For what it's worth after being DBA with Des2000 for last year, the thought of installing to production database is a bit frightening.

>>> John Flack <JOHNF_at_SYNMHS.USA.COM> 02/07/96
01:48pm >>>
Can anybody give me good arguments why we should run a Designer 2000 repository in a separate Oracle instance from production systems?
I'm looking more for ease of administration arguments than performance arguments. Our client's SCO Unix system has plenty of memory and speed to spare.

Does it affect your answer if I add that we will be reverse engineering production databases in CASE? In other words, would having the repository in a different database from the tables that are to be reverse engineered make the process more difficult?

I'm an experienced developer/DBA, but Des 2K/CASE is pretty new to me. By the way, has anyone taken Oracle's Designer 2000 for DBAs class? Worthwhile? Received on Thu Feb 08 1996 - 12:10:30 CST