Re: How to speed up parsing?

From: David White <DWHITE_at_MCCFWC01.SSW.JNJ.COM>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 1996 12:00:12 GMT

     Are you using rule or cost based optimization? If cost, then do both
     instances have accurate statistics?
     We've had problems with views using cost based optimizer. For the
     worst offenders, we alter the session so that it will run as rules
     based.

     David White
     dwhite_at_mccus.jnj.com

Subject: How to speed up parsing?
Author: ORACLEL (INTERNET.ORACLEL1) at ~SWIFTMAIL Date: 2/1/96 11:18 AM

We've got numerous instances on our development/test machine. In one instance a select on a view parses in about 4 minutes. In another instance it takes over two (2) hours to parse. Both instances are running with the exact same init.ora parameters, and there is roughly the same amount of data (within 5%). Actually, the instance that parses the fastest has more data than the other instance.

Any guidance as to what to look at to see why the parsing is taking so long would be greatly appreciated.

For info, this is happening in Oracle Project Accounting, Apps 10.5, DB 7.1.6, Solaris 2.4.

TIA. Jeff Weiss
CMA Consulting Services, Inc. Received on Thu Feb 01 1996 - 12:24:11 CST