Re: Designer 2000

From: Jeff Warner <Jeff_at_MM2.COBB.ZIFF.COM>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 13:18:00 -0800

     You can order the printed documentation for Designer/2000 and Developer/2000 for less that $100 US each. I was truly sick of reading Oracle Book stuff as well as Windows Help files. Online help is a poor substitute for a book when you're learning the product.

Jeff Warner
The Cobb Group

From: owner-oracle-l
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L Subject: Re: Designer 2000
Date: Wednesday, January 31, 1996 11:16AM

John Haley wrote:

> Can anyone out there give me any information/comments/problems encountered
> concerning the ORACLE CASE DESIGNER/DEVELOPER 2000 product.
>
> We here in Ottawa just starting to develop with this TOOL and are
> experiencing many problems AND closed doors!!!
>
> HELP,
>
> Tks -> MMN in Ottawa, Canada

Yes, We faced them too. It is a very good idea to go to one of the Oracle or other Classes. The documentation Sucks! I hate whoever invented the concept of giving only documentation through on-line help. I want to read a book not look at a stupid screen for 5 or 6 hours.

And you'll need at least 32 MB on the client and preferably more than the recommended 21 MB Shared Pool Size on the server. And Get ready for those awful GPF's if working on Windows Platform. And Long Waits when running something like a database wizard. And About Database Design Wizard, use few tables at a time, top down.

After Saying all that, When it works, It Does pretty neat stuff. It can save you a lot of time, I mean a lot of time.

Now only if I can find some documentation abouot how those generators work? Then maybe I can really right a decent template.

Just some Thoughts........
Sunil
 --

                                \|/