Re: post installation problem

From: Mladen Gogala <gogi_at_ASTER.SI>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 11:42:33 +0100

On Jan 29, 10:04am, AMY LEONE wrote:
> Subject: Re: post installation problem
> Junlai -
> Sometimes an install appears to be successful, but
> then when you look in the install.log file you see
> that there were errors during the install that you
> were not notified of. I believe this file is under
> the $ORACLE_HOME/orainst directory.
> - Amy
>
> Hi, all:
>
> I am new to Oracle and this list. Please bear with me if the question
> sounds too simple.
>
> I did a fresh installation which went fine. Then, while performing
> post installation tasks, I had difficulty doing
>
> make -f oracle.mk oracle
>
> I got this error message:
>
> chmod 644 /x1/home/oracle/orahome/lib/libknl.a
> ar r /x1/home/oracle/orahome/lib/libknl.a ksms.o
> *** Signal 11 - core dumped
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target
> `/x1/home/oracle/orahome/lib/libknl.a'
>
> Can anyone tell me what was wrong?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Junlei Zhang
> New York State Archives and Records Administration
>-- End of excerpt from AMY LEONE

This means that AR HAS DUMPED CORE. There are two possible causes: a)
libknl.a or ksms.o do not have proper format (read error has occured while  reading from media) and ar goes nuts. Try nm ksms.o to see whether it has the proper format, and try art t libknl.a to check library. b)
Your Unix is corrupted in some way. In that case all sorts of ghosts should start appearing. Try relinking kernel and checking overall performance of your system.
The third possibility, having too small address space, can be excluded because ar does not consume much memory, and default configuration should do just fine.

In any case you have SERIOUS problems. I suggest you to call in customer support.
Kindest regards!

--
Mladen Gogala
ASTER Ljubljana

Tel  : ++386 61 1683-511                 Snail-mail:
FAX  : ++386 61 1683-165                 ASTER Ljubljana
Email: gogi_at_aster.si                     Nade Ovcakove 1
WWW  : www.aster.si                      61000 Ljubljana
                                         Slovenia