Re: Indexing "free text": How?

From: Jan Baumgras, 566 Bldg., 6-0443 <jbaumgras_at_DOW.COM>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 1996 08:55:42 -0500

snip>>
I need to make this "free text" field searchable - IOW, a user enters the word "abend" into the app and the application searchs the comments field & returns all records that contain the word "abend". What's the best way to make this happen?
end snip>>

Look into a product called Oracle Text. It is designed to index all words in a document, but it can be used to index a field. With the older version of Text called SQL*Textretrieval the field had to be a long type. That's probably still true, so you'd have to deal with the pain of longs. We have comment fields indexed in a legacy system using SQL*Textretrieval, and I can say for sure that it will do what you need.

Jan Received on Thu Jan 25 1996 - 14:56:01 CST