Re: IOUW 1996

From: Powel Crosley <eclipse_at_USIT.NET>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 1996 08:55:10 -0500

At 11:23 PM 1/22/96 EST, Michael Abbey wrote:
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>The IOUG-Americas is presenting IOUW (in Dallas) as we have for the past
>14 years. Oracle Open World is an event that we support and, with a
>business agreement between Oracle and the IOUG-A, intend to work out
>a way for the two events to co-exist. As always, IOUW is designed as
>one of the premier education opportunities for Oracle users.
>

>The IOUG-A is committed to bringing a continued high level of service to
>our direct membership (through the Alliance Group program) and conference
>attendees, and guiding attendees to IOUW through a high-end technical
>experience with Oracle where they will leave IOUW better informed and armed
>with the skills necessary to better use Oracle products. The IOUG-A and
>Oracle have still to decide the presence that each will play at these two
>events. We see the two as being complimentary - the audience at IOUW is
>focused, and most already Oracle consumers. We think this fact stands
>on its own in making the event attractive to vendors including Oracle.
>
>> Any other thoughts out there?

This is all well and good, but let's be realistic. The chances of most users having the approval to attend both events within weeks of each other are pretty slim!

Vague talk about mutual cooperation compared to past experiences of where I get my moneys worth leads me (as a consultant) away from IOUW if (big if) the technical representation by Oracle in campgrounds, etc. is not there.

The Oracle Developers Conference, OCSIG, and other opportunities to get early access to the next level of tools is what it is all about in our business because we have to be (or at least appear to be) several steps ahead of our clients.

I can't see Oracle going to the trouble (or expense) of giving the same level of support to IOUW as in the past because they have to distinguish OOW from IOUW.

What a way to start the year!

Powel Crosley                                 423.483.1939 Voice
Eclipse Technology, Inc.                      423.483.1873 Fax
118 East Division Rd., Oak Ridge, TN 37830 Received on Thu Jan 25 1996 - 14:54:47 CST