ASCII Character Problems

From: andrewg <andrewg_at_QUIDNUNC.COM>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 1996 08:55:01 -0500

I'm using a 4GL (Omnis 7v3 on the Macintosh) to connect to an Oracle7 database via SQL*Netv2.0. The application works fine on a development site, but on the production site I'm having problems with reading and writing characters with ASCII values of > 127.

When I write one of these characters, for example a pound sign (163 ASCII), it gets written to the server as ASCII 63. Any character above 127 gets written to the server as ASCII 63 (the fact that this is 111111 binary may be relevant).

When I read one of these characters, for example a pound sign (163 ASCII), it gets read from the server as ASCII 35. Any character above 127 gets read from the server as it's ASCII value minus 128 (which MUST be relevant).