Re: Oracle World and IOUW

From: Jan Baumgras, 566 Bldg., 6-0443 <jbaumgras_at_DOW.COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 1996 08:23:03 -0500

Bob King wrote:

snip>>
I'm a little concerned about the rift that I hear may be going on between Oracle and the IOUW. What I gather from Oracle's side is that Oracle met every condition set out by the IOUG for a joint IOUG/Oracle show and the IOUG still refused. As a result, Oracle is not supporting the Dallas show.
But the users seem to be the losers. Some of the best talks were by Oracle personnel. Will the vendors go to both shows? The campgrounds with various vendors and users and Oracle were good. I'm not sure a show without Oracle's presence will be that good - but then neither will an Oracle only show.
end snip>>

My sentiments exactly, not to mention that many people will not be able to attend two week-long shows. However, we mustn't forget that WE ARE IOUG not to mention Oracle's customers, and we don't have to simply put up with this situation. In my opinion, it would be best if balking is indeed at IOUG's end because we members can really put pressure on to do something about that. IOUG ought to operate at least somewhat like a democracy; Oracle is not.

As I said in an earlier posting, I've already suggested to IOUG that they clarify the situation ASAP and post their answer everywhere they know has large groups of interested parties. I personally am going to give them a few days to explain, but if they don't or if the answer is not satisfactory, I will contact both our Oracle rep. and IOUG to suggest that they settle their differences and work together to produce a single high-quality IOUW like the ones we've come to find so valuable.

I don't think it's naive to assume neither IOUG nor Oracle is interested in spending a ton ofmoney to put on a show that will be poorly attended. We can let them know plainly what we want if we're going to show up. The vendors who participate in the exhibition halls are interested in good attendance too, so the third thing we can do is contact all the 3rd party vendors we deal with and let them know we won't be going to these shows. If they all threaten to pull their participation, that would probably get the attention of IOUG and Oracle too. We need to act pretty soon, though, if we want to make a difference. It takes a long time to put together a large show like IOUW or Oracle World, and it may even be too late already to salvage the 1996 show. Even if it is, there's 1997 etc. ahead.

        IOUG has a WWW home page with a feedback option.  It's located at:
        http://www.ioug.org

        If you don't have a web browser, the IOUW feedback goes to:
        Janet_Simon_at_sba.com

My sympathies to Janet. I doubt she signed up for the level of mail she may be about to get when she became the "feedback person."

(Jeesh! I have to put up with bickering between teenagers at home. A little thing like a squabble between two supposedly mature organizations ought to be no big deal to handle for those of us with kids, right???!!! Save the email - this part is a joke.)

Jan Received on Tue Jan 23 1996 - 09:33:03 CST