Re: Dallas to host International Oracle User Week (IOUW) '

From: Tony Jambu 041 985 2628 <tjambu_at_FALCON.TELECOM.COM.AU>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 11:30:52 +1100

Paul

> It would be very interesting to me if we could get a straw pole frome the
> gang here. How many of you plan to go to IOUW, how many plan to go
> to Open World, how many think the situation is way too unstable to make any
> intelligent opinion at this point?

I agree with what you are saying and would be reluctant to have to choose which conference to attend. It cost AUS$6000-7000 min to attend IOUW from Australia and I would not be making the decision lightly.

It is a pity that we have to choose between IOUW and OpenWorld, and for what ever reasons IOUG decided to have IOUW separate from OpenWorld I feel that we should support IOUG. I will not make any judgement on the decisions being taken by IOUG or Oracle. I have great respect for Oracle as a company but I also know that the bigger you get the more powerful you are. Too much power and influence can be a dangerous thing. A particular S/W company in Redmond/Seattle with the initials MS comes to mind.o

Which conference to attend? I would love to attend IOUW96 but I will take option 3 ie undecided. Maybe we should all give this year a miss and let both parties come to their senses.

Come on guys & gals, lets all get in the sand-pit and play together like REAL-partners. It is only going to hurt EVERYONE. Not to mention the jokes that will be circulating in the IT community. The winners are the other S/W vendors. Please, please, please get together face to face around a table for a beer or two and sort it out before too much damage is done.

off my soapbox

ta
tony

--

 _____       ________ / ___|Tony Jambu, Database Consultant
  /_  _        /_ __ /     |Wizard Consulting,Aust (ACN 065934778)