Re: Dallas to host International Oracle User Week (IOUW) '96

From: Paul Dorsey <DORSEY_at_ENIGMA.RIDER.EDU>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 1996 18:09:55 -0400

I don't think we can characterize how the conferences will differ untill they run. I think Open World will try to have just as many tech papers as before. IOUW has traditionally been largely an Oracle marketing show. The big difference we will see in Open World will be that the IOUG board will not be involved. I am not sure we can guarantee any other differences. Recall that Oracle has run IOUW for most years anyway.

New improved IOUW is going to have a hard time. If Oracle is not going to be there, what is the point? I think they have to get Oracle behind them or they will be in trouble.

IOUG has neither the budget nor the mailing lists to pull off another multi thousand person conference. At least it will be tough with Open World sucking up most of the casual traffic.

As a speaker at most of thes things, I am not sure which one to support. I already go to ECO, CASE SIG each year as I think they are the best technical conferences we have. I went to IOUW for the dog and pony show and to get to talk to the Oracle big wigs that don't always make it to the focused conferences.

I can't afford the time to go to more than 3 conferences a year. So, either IOUW or Open World will get my vote, but not both.

I guess if there is little or no tech presentations at Open World, I will go to IOUW. But if IOUW is just another regional conference, my plate is full. My intuition is that Open World IS IOUW, new improved IOUW may be about as popular as New COKE.

I sure wish that the egos, testosterone, and BS could have stayed out of it and we wouldn't have this choice to make.

What do you all think?

Can we get some direct input from someone one the IOUG board?

Paul Dorsey
Dulcian Inc. Received on Sun Jan 21 1996 - 18:19:38 CST