Re: Oracle and MS-Access sequence problems

From: Jan Baumgras, 566 Bldg., 6-0443 <jbaumgras_at_DOW.COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 16:46:48 -0500

snip>>
We want to be able to use Oracle's Sequence generator to create unique ID's on row-inserts, but have been unable to get MS-Access to recognize any way to accomplish this - it doesn't recognize the SQL statement with the "<sequence>.nextval" in it.
end snip>>

You need to convince MS Access to simply pass the SQL statement through to the server, something Access doesn't like to do but will. By default Access attempts to parse SQL statements, and it doesn't know what sequence.nextval means, since that's an Oracle thing. I just discovered when I went to lookup a reference in the Access Help files to tell you where to look that my new PC doesn't have Access installed on it, so I can't tell you for sure how to look up the syntax. Try Pass Through Queries or Pass through SQL - something like that.

FYI - You need to do the same thing for any statement that references a stored procedure. It's really quite useful to be able to do pass-through statements.

Jan Received on Thu Jan 18 1996 - 17:40:20 CST