Dropping a tablespace

From: Secor, Jim <Jim.Secor_at_JACOBS.COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 1996 08:07:13 -0800

Hi,

I am trying to drop a large tablespace in version 6. It had almost filled its 880 MB of data files. I do not need the data anymore, so I issued the command

>>> drop tablespace CASC_DATA including contents

I received several errors. ORA-00603 ; ORA-00600 ; ORA-00700 indicating dc_free_extents exceeded. dc_free_extents is set at 3600.

I decided to drop all the tables, which I did, before issuing a "drop tablespace" again.
Now, the table space is empty and the drop tablespace command has been running for hours. Why would it take so long to drop an empty tablespace and do I have a greater problem with my remaining database?

Jim.Secor_at_jacobs.com Received on Wed Jan 17 1996 - 11:29:45 CST