Re: Dropping a tablespace

From: TSAWMILL.US.ORACLE.COM <TSAWMILL_at_US.ORACLE.COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 1996 13:27:08 -0500

--Boundary-7879853-0-0

More likely there are some temporary segments lurking out there in the tablespace. Yes, even if you have a separate temp tablespace set up, sometimes the tablespace you are working in gets some temp segments in it (like, for instance, when you are rebuilding indexes).

Tim Sawmiller
tsawmiller_at_us.oracle.com
"The opinions expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of the Oracle Corporation".

--Boundary-7879853-0-0

Date: 17 Jan 96 12:43:54
From:"Murray Kaiser 6194 " <Murray.Kaiser_at_NSPOWER.NS.CA> To: Multiple,recipients,of,list,ORACLE-L,ORACLE-L_at_CCVM.SUNYSB.EDU Subject: Re: Dropping a tablespace Reply-to: ORACLE-L_at_CCVM.SUNYSB.EDU

<snip>
>I decided to drop all the tables, which I did, before issuing a "drop
>tablespace" again.
>Now, the table space is empty and the drop tablespace command has been
>running for hours. Why would it take so long to drop an empty tablespace and
>do I have a greater problem with my remaining database?
>
>Jim.Secor_at_jacobs.com

My guess is that while the tablespace space is "empty" the data dictionary still  has plenty of entries pertaining to the extents in the tablespace. The extents  are marked as free rather than for a table or index.

Now, when you drop a tablespace, these entries from the data dictionary must be  deleted from the dictionary tables. Couldn't the updating of the data  dictionary impact the speed with which an object can be dropped?

Murray.Kaiser_at_NSPower.ns.ca

--Boundary-7879853-0-0-- Received on Wed Jan 17 1996 - 13:53:30 CST