Re: 7.0 rollback hassles

From: John Baylis <jbaylis_at_CANFOR.CA>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 1996 11:10:35 -0800

I think I have a similar problem.

Oracle 7.1 on NT.
I have 4 rollback segments defined. minextents 14, maxextents 100.

I recycled the oracle database (shutdown and restarted instance) and when I display v$rollstat it shows two rollback segments with number of extents = 100. The other two = 14 which is the minextents defined for each of the 4 rollback segments that I have.

Shouldn't all 4 segments have 14 extents when first starting up? Since maxextents = 100, 2 out of 4 segments cannot extend anymore? Am I missing something?

Thanks for any insight!

>Ian,
>
>According to the oracle dox, oracle attempts to shrink a rbs back to the
>optimal size when:
>
> If a transaction needs to continue writing information from one
> extent to another extent in the rollback segment, ORACLE compares
> the current size of the rollback segment to the optimal size. If
> the rollback segment is larger than its optimal size, and the extents
> immediately following the extent just filled are inactive, ORACLE
> deallocates consecutive non-active extents from the rollback segment
> until the total size of the rollback segment is equal to or is close
> to but not less than the optimal size.
>
>Regards,
>Charles_Dye_at_corp.dialog.com

John Baylis,  Database Administrator           Tel: (604)661-5310
Canadian Forest Products Ltd.                  Fax: (604)661-5440
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada          eMail:jbaylis_at_canfor.ca