Re: POWERBUILDER vs FORMS 4.5

From: Paul Dorsey <DORSEY_at_ENIGMA.RIDER.EDU>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 1996 20:20:22 -0400

According to Eddie K, the way Powerbuilder makes calls to Oracle is not very smart and as a result there are MANY more round trips with Powerbuilder than Forms against Oracle.

If you are doing a big project, you might want to consider CASE which will generate Forms but not Powerbuilder. I think that Forms people will like Forms better, Powerbuilder people will like PB better, but they are probably close and will probably leap forg each other over time.

I am a Forms jock and LOVE it. I had never used Forms before 4.5 because I was nt willing to use a non state of the art tool. I can understand people liking another tool better but that would have to be a style preference. I would be happy to accept the challenge of developing in 4.5 against any other package. I am convinced that I can develope just as fast, and just as complex applications as anyone,... and do it in less time.

One hit I will make against Forms is that it is a big start up cost. You need training and consulting to get up to speed. And I think you need BOTH training and consulting. But once you are up to speed, it is perhaps the most efficient development tool on the market.

I build basic apps in under an hour and complex apps in a day or two. I am VERY happy with the tool.

Paul Dorsey
Dulcian Inc. Received on Fri Jan 12 1996 - 20:35:58 CST