Clarification to Q:Column Format ?

From: Prasad Bammidi <pbammidi_at_CS.UTEP.EDU>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 1996 14:14:50 MST

>Could you clarify this? You state that you are using Oraperl, but the
>example you give is not Perl code.

Hi Jared,

Sorry for the confusion. The examples I gave here uses the query from the Ora-Perl scripts. The problem is common to both Ora-Perl scripts and SQL*Plus. Using SQL*Plus I tried to show here that the common solutions like setting the column format did not work even in SQL*Plus if I use NVL. I was hoping if it works in SQL*Plus may be I can do the same using the Ora-Perl scripts after logging into the database. So I am looking for solutions either in SQL*Plus or Ora-Perl.

Thanks

Prasad

The Original Question:

We are using Ora-Perl scripts to display data from our Oracle database. We are having problems with longer 'column aliases' in queries where the alias name exceeds the column size. SQL*Plus truncates the extra characters. I can't use the 'column XXX heading YYYYY' setting and 'cloumn format aXX' also does not work. My query looks like this:

select
nvl( PROJECT.SW_APPR, 'NO ANSWER') "Development Approach", count (distinct PROJECT.PROJ_NO) "# of projects" from
PROJECT
group by
PROJECT.SW_APPR; The display shows:

Development Appr # of projects

WATERFALL                   55
EVOLUTIONARY                54

If I do 'column SW_APPR format a30':

It works If I do not use nvl in my query. But I have to use nvl in my queries. I can't set the Heading because of some other constraints in my scripts. We are using Oracle 7.0.16 on SUN OS 4.1.3.

Any ideas or work arounds are appreciated. Thanks in adavnce.

Regards,
Prasad
(pbammidi_at_cs.utep.edu) Received on Wed Jan 10 1996 - 16:23:13 CST