Shared Pool bug in 7.2.2?

From: Sam Siciliano <Sam_Siciliano_at_PGN.COM>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 1996 13:21:21 -0800

We have a new application, a package on AIX 3.2.5 and Oracle 7.2.3, coming up, and with only one or two people on banging in some table entries, administration, etc, we are getting the ora-04031 message, out of shared memory. The canned answer for this problem number is to increase the size of the shared_pool. I have gone from 3,000,000 to 9,000,000, and they still have the problem. When we bounce Oracle, then it works fine.

I called Oracle support, and they said they didn't know of problems in 7.2.2, but then the fax they sent me warned of a bug 318582 which is supposed to be fixed in 7.2.3. Has anyone run across this bug or a similar problem as mine?

Again, since this is a new application, I don't know if the problem is unique to 7.2.2.3 or even if the application has bad code. However, this is a package running out on a lot of sites, so I am suspecting Oracle more than the application vendor. It appears that memory is not getting freed up or is getting fragmented, so that eventually we get the out of memory message. I tried issue the alter system command to flush the shared pool, and that gets us going again. Any body seen anyting like this in 7.2.2.3 and know of any fix? Received on Mon Jan 08 1996 - 16:41:41 CST