Re: Change users in the middle of a session?

From: NEON Systems <neon_at_BGA.COM>
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 1996 14:09:48 -0500

First: Thanks, Anil, for the super solution!

> Nifty trick! I was wondering how Oracle did that. I had heard a rumor
> back in '86 or so that Oracle wrote SQL*Plus using HLI (now OCI), and
> anything you can do in SQL*Plus, you can do in HLI...
>
> Well, in SQL*Plus, you can connect to another user and *become* that other
> user... so there *had* to be a way to do that in OCI, unless my source was
> wrong, or unless Oracle rewrote SQL*Plus in some other language (horrors!).

If you're not talking about CONNECT userid (mentioned several times here) I'd be interested to hear about it...

If you are, it turns out that CONNECT is not at all nifty. It simply closes one session and opens another, incurring all the extra overhead you are trying to avoid in the first place (by not issuing another orlon).