Re: Exporting Directly to Tape

From: David L. Dennis <ddennis_at_LIBRA.AFSOC.AF.MIL>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 1995 21:16:06 -0600

On Wed, 27 Dec 1995, Helena Whitaker wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Dec 1995, Kilner, Carol wrote:
>
> > Has any one had any experience doing an export directly to dat tape on an
> > HP-UX version 10.

<snip>

> Are you sure dd can copy an export file properly from tape
> to disk ? (I once had a problem where one version of frecover
>
> My gut feeling is that export/import directly to/from tape
> will be consistent, export/import to/from disk with a dd to
> tape as a backup will be consistent, but export to tape,
> dd to disk, import from disk may not be.

My experience with dd on Sun Solaris yeilds similar results. Using dd to read from tape to disk tends to do funny stuff with blocking and other low-level tape-specific things.

Your best bet is to either import from tape, either directly, or using the pipe-through-node method that Steven suggested.

HTH, David L. Dennis
ARINC Incorporated
ddennis_at_arinc.com Received on Wed Dec 27 1995 - 22:40:02 CST