Re: REF: Re: V7 VARCHAR2/CHAR usage

From: Nick Price <nick_at_INNET.BE>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 1995 11:48:25 -0500

According to Kurt Strandby Jensen:

> in MENUTABS.SQL is there a commando
>
> SET COMPABILITY V6
>
> and in V6 char is variable length - so therefore
> it creates a var-length ( VARCHAR2 in V7).
>
> Kurt S Jensen
> DSB data - Denmark.

No there is not. This (in a rather laboured way) was my point. I have always installed Oracle releases believing that one could interchange the the use of the installer and the supplied sql scripts. However this now appears not to be the case. Why does Oracle ship a Version 7 product with a Version 6 sql script anyway ?

BTW, Whilst 'SET COMPATABILITY V6' is indeed the correct solution to this problem, I cannot find any mention of the need to 'SET COMPATABILITY V6' in any of the documentation, nor a warning of what might happen if you bypass the Installer.

Nick
--

+    Nick Price                                           Avenue Coghen 169    +