Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Net 8 problem
Net 8 problem [message #2450] Wed, 17 July 2002 02:46 Go to next message
Arvind L
Hi,

I need to connect to a remote Oracle 7.3.4 database which has an underscore "_" in its SID.The oracle sid is PRD_DB.
I made the neccessary entries(SID also) in the tnsnames files. The listener is running on the server. i'm still getting an error.

Any solutions ??

TIA
Arvind
Re: Net 8 problem [message #2451 is a reply to message #2450] Wed, 17 July 2002 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ctg
what error are you getting?
Re: Net 8 problem [message #2462 is a reply to message #2450] Wed, 17 July 2002 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Arvind L
This is the error,

ERROR:
ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name

The listener is up & listening to this db on the server.
I heard that there is problem to connect to databases which have an underscore ( _ ) in their Oracle SID's thru Net 8.
So i want to know if what i heard is correct & if there are any solutions for this.

Regards
Arvind
Re: Net 8 problem [message #2474 is a reply to message #2450] Thu, 18 July 2002 18:14 Go to previous message
figen
If you are getting this error , this means that you have a problem about resolving service name, not listener problem.
Following is from the Oracle Book, I am sure it helps

ORA-12154: "TNS:could not resolve service name"

Cause: Net8 could not locate the connect descriptor specified in the tnsnames.ora file

Actions:
(1) Verify that tnsnames.ora file exits and thst is accessible

(2)Verify that the tnsnames.ora file is in the location specified by the TNS_ADMIN environmental variable

(3)In your tnsnames.ora file, verify that the service name specified in your connection string is mapped to a connect descriptor in the tnsnames.ora file. Also, verify that there are no syntax errors in the file

(4)Verify that there are no duplicate copies of the sqlnet.ora file

(5)If you are connectiong from a login diaolg box, verify that you are not placing an "at" symbol (@) before your connection service name

Figen
Previous Topic: SQL DateTime
Next Topic: sequence .CURRVAL is not yet defined in this session
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 09:56:30 CDT 2024