Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » specified initialization parameter cannot be modified
specified initialization parameter cannot be modified [message #305827] Wed, 12 March 2008 02:40 Go to next message
ram anand
Hi,
While i trying to alter the session parameter, i get the following error
ALTER SESSION SET processes =300
Error at line 1
ORA-02095: specified initialization parameter cannot be modified

pls give me a correct suggestion regarding this issue

Thanks,
Re: specified initialization parameter cannot be modified [message #305831 is a reply to message #305827] Wed, 12 March 2008 02:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
You cannot set this parameter at session level. It wouldn't make sense either. Let's have a look at the documentation:

Oracle Reference
PROCESSES
Property		Description
Parameter type		Integer
Default value		40 to operating system-dependent
Modifiable		No
Range of values		6 to operating system dependent
Basic			Yes
Real Application Clusters	Multiple instances can have different values. 

PROCESSES specifies the maximum number of operating system user processes that can simultaneously connect to Oracle. Its value should allow for all background processes such as locks, job queue processes, and parallel execution processes.

The default values of the SESSIONS and TRANSACTIONS parameters are derived from this parameter. Therefore, if you change the value of PROCESSES, you should evaluate whether to adjust the values of those derived parameters.
Does this look like a parameter you can set at session level? I sure hope it isn't. It affects the ENTIRE database.

My advice? Stay away from it, since you have no clue about its purpose.

MHE
Re: specified initialization parameter cannot be modified [message #305848 is a reply to message #305831] Wed, 12 March 2008 03:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ram anand
Hi,
Can we shutdown the database and alter the session is it possible

Thanks,
Re: specified initialization parameter cannot be modified [message #305850 is a reply to message #305848] Wed, 12 March 2008 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
No.
This is not a parameter you can modify on session basis.

You have to either use alter system to change the value in spfile or change the init.ora file and restart the instance.

Regards
Michel
Re: specified initialization parameter cannot be modified [message #305854 is a reply to message #305848] Wed, 12 March 2008 03:56 Go to previous message
Maaher
ram anand wrote on Wed, 12 March 2008 09:41
Hi,
Can we shutdown the database and alter the session is it possible

Thanks,

Ok, you first need to understand what a session is. It is a specific connection from a specific user to a database. It lasts until the user disconnects. The parameter you want to change has NOTHING to do with that. Please, be very very careful when you change parameters you don't understand. You might end up with a broken database.

MHE
Previous Topic: Not able to drop a table
Next Topic: how to get system Specification through pl/sql
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Dec 09 08:04:52 CST 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.07517 seconds