Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » PL/SQL Variable Declarations (ORACLE 9i)
PL/SQL Variable Declarations [message #304600] Wed, 05 March 2008 15:55 Go to next message
manningda
Reviewing an existing db and PL/SQL Web App.

Within is the folliwing Cursor

cursor c1(aRowid in varchar2) is
      select *
      from sample s
      where rowid = aRowid;
   c1_rec c1%rowType;

Im afraid my inexpereince is showing through and I am struggling to understand how the variable [aRowid] is being filled.

I think that I understand that on Line1, Cursor "c1" is delcared and is being passed the variable [aRowid].

But I am sill unclear as to how this variable is recieving a value.

The query is based on the condition that

rowid = aRowid;

...but when I search foward and backward within the package body, I see no other place where the variable "aRowid" is dealt with, filled or otherwise given a value.

Using PL/SQL Developer, I have gone so far as to search all package bodies for the variable aRowid, but to this point am still not seeing the association that would present a value that would allow the query to complete.

I do realize that this a bit vauge as a question, and may apply to programming basics that I need to build more skill with, but how would one suggest determining the value that "aRowid" is being filled with so to more accurately review the query results?

Hoping I was able to define my question clearly.

Thanks in advance for all input / advice.
Re: PL/SQL Variable Declarations [message #304601 is a reply to message #304600] Wed, 05 March 2008 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
S.Rajaram
search in the package where the cursor is opened. Hopefully you will find an answer by yourself. Also take some time read the oracle pl/sql reference manual.

Regards

Raj
Re: PL/SQL Variable Declarations [message #304607 is a reply to message #304600] Wed, 05 March 2008 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barbara Boehmer
Arowid is just the parameter name for that cursor. Somewhere in the code you should see something like:

OPEN c1 (some value here);

Whatever value is there becomes the value of aRowid.
Re: PL/SQL Variable Declarations [message #305730 is a reply to message #304607] Tue, 11 March 2008 14:26 Go to previous message
manningda
Deep Thanks to both Barbara Boehmer & S.Rajaram!!!

Ive been reviewing the point where the cursor is opened and feel like I am understanding much more, but there are sooo many passed variables in this app Im afraid Im still feeling my inexpereince as I work to disect much of the logic.
Embarassed

Im sticking with it though with your help am making headway!!

Thanks again! Sorry I did not come back to this post sooner.
Embarassed
Previous Topic: Group by Error
Next Topic: Loading time dimension table
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Dec 03 15:57:54 CST 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03870 seconds