Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » external tables - which view to query?
external tables - which view to query? [message #302149] Sun, 24 February 2008 03:18 Go to next message
beetel
Hi,

I would like to see the properties (columns, indexes, etc) of an external table. Which USER_ view should I query? Unlike ordinary tables and views, we have USER_TABLES and USER_VIEWS. How about for external tables?

Thanks in advance...
Re: external tables - which view to query? [message #302153 is a reply to message #302149] Sun, 24 February 2008 03:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shyam538
check one of these DDV's user_external_tables, all_external_tables,dba_external_tables.
conn /as sysdba;
select * from user_objects where object_name like '%ext%';
Re: external tables - which view to query? [message #302156 is a reply to message #302153] Sun, 24 February 2008 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
You don't need to use SYS to query.
Connect with your account and query all_catalog.

- Never ever use SYS but for maintenance purpose (startup, shutdown, backup, recover)
- SYS is special
- SYS is Oracle proprietary (try to open a SR/TAR starting with "i did that with SYS" and you'll see the immediate answer)
- SYS does not act like any other user
- When you use SYS Oracle deactivates some code path and activates others
- Whatever you do with SYS will neither validate nor invalidate the same thing with any other user.

NEVER EVER use SYS for anything that can be done by another user.
Use SYS ONLY for something that can't be done by someone else.

Regards
Michel
Re: external tables - which view to query? [message #303395 is a reply to message #302156] Fri, 29 February 2008 02:54 Go to previous message
beetel
user_external_tables it is.. Smile

Previous Topic: Missing right parenthesis (split)
Next Topic: maximum number of recursive SQL levels (50) exceeded
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Dec 09 23:14:55 CST 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04666 seconds