Home » Non-English Forums » Portuguese » Portuguese characters are not displayed properly after import
Portuguese characters are not displayed properly after import [message #299015] Fri, 08 February 2008 10:40 Go to next message
srix5
Messages: 11
Registered: March 2005
Location: Bangalore
Junior Member
Hi All,

I have a oracle 7 db in HP unix box, which has portuguese characters in some tables.

Character sets as follows,

9i
NLS_CHARACTERSET WE8ISO8859P1
NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET AL16UTF16

I tried to export from 7 and import to 10g which is in Solaris 10. After importing portuguese characters are not displayed properly in Toad or in sqlplus. 10g also has the same characterset.

10g
NLS_CHARACTERSET WE8ISO8859P1
NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET AL16UTF16

I set NLS_LANG in the following way in both the machines .profile's before export and import,

NLS_LANG=AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1;export NLS_LANG

Am i missing some other things...?

- SK.


Re: Portuguese characters are not displayed properly after import [message #299018 is a reply to message #299015] Fri, 08 February 2008 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Messages: 58857
Registered: March 2007
Location: Nanterre, France, http://...
Senior Member
Account Moderator
1/ Does WE8ISO8859P1 contains/supports portuguese characters?
2/ Does your Windows a portuguese one?
3/ Does your Oracle NLS_LANG on Windows set to portuguese characters?
4/ If you spool the result in a file and open it with wordpad, do you see portuguese characters?
5/ What is the result on your server side?

Regards
Michel

[Updated on: Fri, 08 February 2008 10:50]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Portuguese characters are not displayed properly after import [message #299095 is a reply to message #299018] Sat, 09 February 2008 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
srix5
Messages: 11
Registered: March 2005
Location: Bangalore
Junior Member
Hi Michel,

Thankyou very much for your reply.

My current database characterset ( Oracle 7 Version ) has the following characterset,
NLS_CHARACTERSET WE8ISO8859P1
NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET AL16UTF16

Application is displaying the portuguese characters properly. But when i spool the output and open it in wordpad it is showing only junk characters other than portuguese characters.

My windows is not a portuguese one.

My windows NLS_LANG was set to AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1

Server side also it is not displaying the characters properly. To view this properly, first i will prepare a .csv and converting this in excel through get external data option and selecting File Origin as MS-DOS (PC-8). After doing this, i am able to view portuguese character in Excel.

Thankyou again.

- SK.
Re: Portuguese characters are not displayed properly after import [message #299114 is a reply to message #299095] Sat, 09 February 2008 09:15 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Messages: 58857
Registered: March 2007
Location: Nanterre, France, http://...
Senior Member
Account Moderator
This means that your original client application was using PC-8 character set but had its NLS_LANG set to WE8ISO8859P1.
As long as you use the same application with the same wrong setting there is no problem but as soon as you set the correct NLS_LANG parameter then problem appears.

You have to unload the whole data in a PC-8 client but setting NLS_LANG to 8859P1, then change NLS_LANG to the correct setting and reload the database.

Regards
Michel
Previous Topic: Problem storing text on a BLOB column if language is Portuguese
Next Topic: Portuguese characters are not importing properly.
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Fri Aug 22 01:45:38 CDT 2014

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05414 seconds