Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » PLS-00103
PLS-00103 [message #298245] Tue, 05 February 2008 08:02 Go to next message
sbroken
Hi again,
I'm back with another question for you all: at last I've generated my procedure and now I'm trying to call it.

begin
declare cursore sys_refcursor;
proc_id varchar2 :='12';
num number;
stringa varchar2;
x_procedure(proc_id,'12','mrk',my_cursor,'1','32320','text','');
end

but I get this axception:

-----------------------------------
ORA-06550: line 6, column 12:
PLS-00103: Encountered the symbol "(" when expecting one of the following:

constant exception <an identifier>
<a double-quoted delimited-identifier> table LONG_ double ref
char time timestamp interval date binary national character
nchar
The symbol "<an identifier>" was substituted for "(" to continue.
ORA-06550: line 11, column 2:
PLS-00103: Encountered the symbol "FETCH" when expecting one of the following:

constant exception <an identifier>
<a double-quo
-----------------------------------

Have you got any idea about the error?

Re: PLS-00103 [message #298254 is a reply to message #298245] Tue, 05 February 2008 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pablolee
format your posts according to the orafaq guidelines. i have not posted a link, because Michel already posted a link in your previous thread.
Please post your actual code.
Thanks
Re: PLS-00103 [message #298259 is a reply to message #298245] Tue, 05 February 2008 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
Hi again,
I'm back with another question for you all:

Welcome back and read again I posted in your previous topic:
Michel Cadot wrote on Tue, 29 January 2008 15:29
Please format your post: read OraFAQ Forum Guide, especially "How to format your post?" section.
Make sure that lines of code do not exceed 80 characters when you format.
Indent the code.
Use the "Preview Message" button to verify.

I recommend you to also read again in PL/SQL guide what is the structure of a PL/SQL block.

Regards
Michel

[Edit: Hey! pablolee is faster than me!]

[Updated on: Tue, 05 February 2008 08:28]

Report message to a moderator

Re: PLS-00103 [message #298302 is a reply to message #298245] Tue, 05 February 2008 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
sbroken wrote on Tue, 05 February 2008 15:02

begin
num number;
stringa varchar2;
end

If this is really what your code looks like, please stop it right there and buy yourself a good pl/sql book.
This code is SO wrong, from top to bottom that there is no way to tell you where to start adjusting it.
Re: PLS-00103 [message #298304 is a reply to message #298302] Tue, 05 February 2008 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sbroken
Frank wrote on Tue, 05 February 2008 17:55
sbroken wrote on Tue, 05 February 2008 15:02

begin
num number;
stringa varchar2;
end

If this is really what your code looks like, please stop it right there and buy yourself a good pl/sql book.
This code is SO wrong, from top to bottom that there is no way to tell you where to start adjusting it.

thank you very very much.
Do you really think that if my code doesn't really look like that and if I had time I wouldn't read a good PLSQL book?

The reason why i write here is just for asking SOMEONE to help me. But I haven't write jet I was asking for YOUR help.

Thank you again.
Re: PLS-00103 [message #298306 is a reply to message #298304] Tue, 05 February 2008 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pablolee
If you want help from us, have the courtesy to do as we ask of you. Post correctly (i.e. according to forum guidelines)
Your code is littered with not just syntax errors, but also some pretty basic spelling errors. You ask us to help with your code, then don't actually show us your code. Put some effort in and we will do the same, put no effort in, and again, we will do the same.
Re: PLS-00103 [message #298311 is a reply to message #298306] Tue, 05 February 2008 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sbroken
pablolee wrote on Tue, 05 February 2008 18:30
If you want help from us, have the courtesy to do as we ask of you. Post correctly (i.e. according to forum guidelines)
Your code is littered with not just syntax errors, but also some pretty basic spelling errors. You ask us to help with your code, then don't actually show us your code. Put some effort in and we will do the same, put no effort in, and again, we will do the same.

I put some effort in and, as I can see, you help me.
I didn't put any irony in...

If you don't want to help me, just don't help me.
If you want to help me, just help me.

I've started reading a plsql book some days ago: I'm sure the first time you wrote a procedure you did it without errors. Maybe I'm too dummy to write without errors...
Re: PLS-00103 [message #298314 is a reply to message #298311] Tue, 05 February 2008 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
I'm sure the first time you wrote a procedure you did it without errors.

No and I'm almost make errors every time I write PL/SQL but at least I read the syntax.
As I said, PL/SQL block has not this structure.
This is the first thing you read in documentation, in chapter "Fundamentals of the PL/SQL Language", just after what are a literal, an identifier or a comment.

Regards
Michel

Re: PLS-00103 [message #298315 is a reply to message #298311] Tue, 05 February 2008 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pablolee
My issue is not with the fact that you have error in your code. The fact that you have SPELLING errors shows that you have put minimal effort in. You want help? OK, cursor doesn't have an e on the end,
declare comes before begin. variable declarations of varchar2 require to be sized.
Now, either post your actual code or you are wasting everybody's time including your own.

[Updated on: Tue, 05 February 2008 11:59]

Report message to a moderator

Re: PLS-00103 [message #298324 is a reply to message #298315] Tue, 05 February 2008 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sbroken
pablolee wrote on Tue, 05 February 2008 18:58
My issue is not with the fact that you have error in your code. The fact that you have SPELLING errors shows that you have put minimal effort in. You want help? OK, cursor doesn't have an e on the end,
declare comes before begin. variable declarations of varchar2 require to be sized.
Now, either post your actual code or you are wasting everybody's time including your own.

Thank you.

1)I was declaring a sys_refcursor named 'cursore' which is the italian for cursor.
2)reading the book i noticed that declare comes before begin and that variable declarations of varchar2 requires to be sized. But, by reading your messages, I knew you always knew that thing. That's why I haven't posted my actual code.

Sorry for making you wasting your time, but don't you think that writing
'declare comes before begin. variable declarations of varchar2 require to be sized. '
four hours ago we both should have not wasted our time?
Re: PLS-00103 [message #298326 is a reply to message #298324] Tue, 05 February 2008 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pablolee
Quote:
1)I was declaring a sys_refcursor named 'cursore' which is the italian for cursor.

Fair play, my bad. HOWEVER, if you had correctly formatted your post, that would have been much easier to see. Your lack of formatting led me to my mistake.

Quote:
2)reading the book i noticed that declare comes before begin and that variable declarations of varchar2 requires to be sized. But, by reading your messages, I knew you always knew that thing. That's why I haven't posted my actual code.
Now you are just talking nonsense. You are saying that you deliberately posted invalid syntax because you knew that I would know what the right syntax is. Forgive me but if that is what you are trying to say then that is an idiotic statement...
Ahh forget it. You seem to think that this forum owes you an answer even though you cannot be bothered putting any effort in. Anyone else want to help, feel free, I have no time for you.
Re: PLS-00103 [message #298328 is a reply to message #298326] Tue, 05 February 2008 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sbroken
pablolee wrote on Tue, 05 February 2008 19:15
Quote:

Fair play, my bad. HOWEVER, if you had correctly formatted your post, that would have been much easier to see. Your lack of formatting led me to my mistake.

Quote:
Now you are just talking nonsense. You are saying that you deliberately posted invalid syntax because you knew that I would know what the right syntax is. Forgive me but if that is what you are trying to say then that is an idiotic statement...
Ahh forget it. You seem to think that this forum owes you an answer even though you cannot be bothered putting any effort in. Anyone else want to help, feel free, I have no time for you.

Obviously my english has to be very bad. I wanted to say that AFTER publishing the post I noticed the mistakes. While deleting the errors you wrote me you noticed these errors. I've never thought that this forum owes me an answer even though..bla bla bla.
Have no fear, I don't need your time, so feel free you too.
Thank you anyway.
Re: PLS-00103 [message #298330 is a reply to message #298328] Tue, 05 February 2008 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank
No one here is replying to get to you or to make fun of you or anything else. Although it may seem otherwise to you, every single person who has replied to you in this thread is actually trying to help you.
Basically, what I was trying to say (and I think that this was pablolee's and Michel's initial point as well) is that you should try to learn the basics of PL/SQL before posting here.
Things like the order in which to write a PL/SQL block, the way to declare a varchar2 variable, etc are all very basic things that can be found in any PL/SQL book, online or hard-copy.
We're not saying or claiming that we did not or do not make errors in our code. What we are trying to get across, is that we first try to solve them ourselves by looking at the error, checking our books for the correct constructs, etcetera.
We all love to have you here on the forum, but the idea of this forum is always: first try it yourself. Then, when you have tried and you cannot find your error, come here and ask.
Re: PLS-00103 [message #298338 is a reply to message #298330] Tue, 05 February 2008 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sbroken
Frank wrote on Tue, 05 February 2008 20:29
No one here is replying to get to you or to make fun of you or anything else. Although it may seem otherwise to you, every single person who has replied to you in this thread is actually trying to help you.
Basically, what I was trying to say (and I think that this was pablolee's and Michel's initial point as well) is that you should try to learn the basics of PL/SQL before posting here.
Things like the order in which to write a PL/SQL block, the way to declare a varchar2 variable, etc are all very basic things that can be found in any PL/SQL book, online or hard-copy.
We're not saying or claiming that we did not or do not make errors in our code. What we are trying to get across, is that we first try to solve them ourselves by looking at the error, checking our books for the correct constructs, etcetera.
We all love to have you here on the forum, but the idea of this forum is always: first try it yourself. Then, when you have tried and you cannot find your error, come here and ask.

I know that everyone here is trying to help me, although it may seem otherwise to you. And that's the reason why i wrote "thank you" every time I post a message.
Bye
Thank you (again)
Re: PLS-00103 [message #298408 is a reply to message #298324] Wed, 06 February 2008 01:19 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Quote:
I was declaring a sys_refcursor named 'cursore' which is the italian for cursor.

Maybe your Oracle doesn't speak Italian? ./fa/1599/0/
Click here
Previous Topic: Most common record
Next Topic: Max space I can use in my Schema
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Dec 07 18:37:27 CST 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.08445 seconds