Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Users of one Schema
Users of one Schema [message #296716] Mon, 28 January 2008 18:45 Go to next message
In our Oracle 9i Database we have a Project that uses one Schema called ProjectOne where several people need to be able to create tables, create,edit and delete records, create and delete triggers and sequences in the ProjectOne schema.

Our DBA creates a user account for each person where each person has their own username and password with priviledges to the ProjectOne Schema. The DBA doesnt want us to use the ProjectOne Schema username and password. Is this a standard practice with Oracle where each person needs their own username and password to login into the Database and view and edit one Schema (ProjectOne)?
Re: Users of one Schema [message #296724 is a reply to message #296716] Mon, 28 January 2008 19:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Different DBAs work in different ways, but this does not sound highly unusual to me. It would assist with auditability.

Ross Leishman
Re: Users of one Schema [message #296766 is a reply to message #296716] Tue, 29 January 2008 00:24 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
It is a good security practice that each use has his personal account.
Noone (but DBA) should be able to create/drop objects in another schema.
Of course, users may be able to modify data in application schema if the business needs require it.

My advice is that application owner account (projectone) should be locked and password invalidated. There is no reason to connect with this user, it is just a namespace for application objects.

Previous Topic: Pl/Sql detail e-guides
Next Topic: changing query that builds a materialized view
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Oct 25 23:52:10 CDT 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.08583 seconds