Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Change CLOB column to VARCHAR2 data type (Oracle 9i)
Change CLOB column to VARCHAR2 data type [message #294733] Fri, 18 January 2008 13:33 Go to next message
kollerrk
My knowledge of writing SQL code for Oracle doesn't go far beyond creating basic tables and relationships. I have a situation where I need to convert a column in a table with data in it from CLOB to VARCHAR2. While I know this statement does not work, I would essentially like to accomplish this:

ALTER TABLE table1
MODIFY clob_column VARCHAR2(1000);

This needs to be done with SQL code in SQL*Plus. The Oracle version is 9i. I am guessing I would need to create the VARCHAR2 column and then somehow move the data over and then drop the CLOB column. An example of how you would accomplish this in SQL*Plus would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Re: Change CLOB column to VARCHAR2 data type [message #294734 is a reply to message #294733] Fri, 18 January 2008 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Quote:
I am guessing I would need to create the VARCHAR2 column and then somehow move the data over and then drop the CLOB column.

Yes you are right.

Quote:
An example of how you would accomplish this in SQL*Plus would be greatly appreciated.

What part don't you know?

You can also use dbms_redefinition package.

Regards
Michel
Re: Change CLOB column to VARCHAR2 data type [message #294735 is a reply to message #294733] Fri, 18 January 2008 13:51 Go to previous message
Kevin Meade
you have not many choices here. I suggest one of the following:

given this table:

create table temp1 (a clob)
/

do this:

alter table temp1 add b varchar2(4000)
/

update temp1 set a = null, b = a
/

alter table temp1 drop column a
/