Home » RDBMS Server » Networking and Gateways » ORA-12547: TNS:lost contact (merged)
ORA-12547: TNS:lost contact (merged) [message #269552] Sun, 23 September 2007 05:34 Go to next message
miraijaz
hi all,

i am getting the following message when i try to connect to teh database on remote server

SQL> connect /@ectest as sysdba
ERROR:
ORA-12547: TNS:lost contact

it was working fine till we move our office location. if i remotely login to the server then i am able to connect.
i am on windows platform

if i connect to the local database of my PC there is no issue

regards
Aijaz
Re: ORA-12547: TNS:lost contact [message #269554 is a reply to message #269552] Sun, 23 September 2007 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
First,
ORA-12547: TNS:lost contact
 *Cause: Partner has unexpectedly gone away, usually during process
 startup.
 *Action: Investigate partner application for abnormal termination. On an
 Interchange, this can happen if the machine is overloaded

Regards
Michel
Re: ORA-12547: TNS:lost contact [message #269559 is a reply to message #269554] Sun, 23 September 2007 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mson77
Hello

You said:
  • 1) i am getting the following message when i try to connect to the database on remote server
  • 2) it was working fine till we move our office location
  • 3) if i remotely login to the server then i am able to connect. i am on windows platform
  • 4) if i connect to the local database of my PC there is no issue

And I say:

Based on your information [3]... remotely you connect onto the server using same "remote desktop s/w" and as being in front of the server you can connect onto the database;

My questions:
a) From your new remote office location... do you have tunnel (like vpn) connecting your location to the server location?
b) Do you connect from your PC onto the remote database server without any encryption?

Basically I understand that this problem may rise due tcp/ip blocking (some firewall configuration... @server location validating source ip for instance).

Based on answers of questions (a) and (b) you can check which tcp ports at server location should be opened to complete your desired database tnslistener connection.

Another test that you can do is:
C:\> tnsping <server_sid>

from your PC.

Regards,

mson77
ora-12571 and ora-12547 [message #272791 is a reply to message #269552] Sun, 07 October 2007 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
miraijaz
hi all

1) i am getting the following message when i try to connect to the database on remote server
2) it was working fine till we move our office location
3) if i remotely login to the server then i am able to connect. i am on windows platform
4) if i connect to the local database of my PC there is no issue
5) tnsping for local is working fine but remote gives the same error

sqlnet.log
SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NONE)
#SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)

trace_level_client = 16
trace_unique_client = on
trace_file_client = sqlnet.trc
trace_directory_client = C:\oracle\ora92\network\trace

NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES,ONAMES)
------------------

tnsnames.ora
TEST =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = ec-tst.domain)(PORT = 1521))
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVICE_NAME = test)
(SERVER = DEDICATED)
)
)

Thanks and Regards,
aijaz
Re: ora-12571 and ora-12547 [message #272797 is a reply to message #272791] Sun, 07 October 2007 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Don't start a new topic, continue on the previous one.

Regards
Michel
Re: ora-12571 and ora-12547 [message #272970 is a reply to message #272797] Mon, 08 October 2007 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mson77
Hello miraijaz,

Regarding:
http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/90586/110238/#msg_num_3
Why didn't you answer my 2 questions (a) and (b)?

You just have copied the list that I retyped and... you paste on a new thread/topic. Why? I just try to help you.

mson77
Re: ora-12571 and ora-12547 [message #273057 is a reply to message #272970] Mon, 08 October 2007 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
miraijaz

sorry to open new thread for same topic.

for your questions

a) no we are not using VPN it is dedicated fibre link.
b) encription i am not aware of

BTW i have sorted this issue my appending domain name to host in tnsnames.ora. but still geting these errors when i run the crystal reports from crystal management server. here again if i run the same report from PC no issue but if i run the report from management server this problem occurs. earlier everything was ok

regards
Aijaz

Re: ora-12571 and ora-12547 [message #273206 is a reply to message #273057] Tue, 09 October 2007 08:26 Go to previous message
mson77
Hello miraijaz,

This looks like a networking issue because you said you have moved your office, and maybe some network configuration may have changed.

The basic items you should check are:
1) Your DB server: You should be able to "ping" this DB server;
ping <mydbserver.mydomain.com>
ping <mydbserver_ip>
In either commands above.. you should be able to contact your DB server (I assume that you DB server replies to ping command. Check if firewall is not blocking ping replies.)
2) Once "ping" is fine... then you have path to your DB server in terms of networking view;
3) Once you have networking path to your DB server... create or configure oracle client service name using/issuing "netca" command from your DOS Prompt screen;
4) Once you have configured service name using "netca"... issue a TNSPING command to the service name you have just created;
tnsping <your_service_name>
You should receive a response like:
Usado o adaptador TNSNAMES para resolver o apelido
Attempting to contact (DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS_LIST = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 192.168.0.1)
(PORT = 1521))) (CONNECT_DATA = (SERVICE_NAME = casa3b)))
OK (180 ms)
(THIS IS MY CASE... and notice about "OK (180ms)" in my example. It means DB connectivity OK.).

Follow the numbered steps above for your case.
Regards,

mson77
Previous Topic: configuring oid for non ASoracle
Next Topic: ora-12514 after i restart the service
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 20:57:37 CDT 2024