Home » SQL & PL/SQL » SQL & PL/SQL » Schema object named using Oracle Function
Schema object named using Oracle Function [message #272540] Fri, 05 October 2007 08:18 Go to next message
justaname23
Hello!

I am intersted in knowing if it is OK to name a table name the same as an Oracle Function? e.g can my table name be 'LN' or 'log' or 'Floor' etc.

If not, is there a site where I can get the impact of doing so like how Oracle will behave.

Appreciate your input.

Re: Schema object named using Oracle Function [message #272541 is a reply to message #272540] Fri, 05 October 2007 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joy_division
You can, but it is a bad idea of course (I'll leave out the part of how to do it). It's just an object, and I understand that you want to give it a meaningful name, but why not make your life easier and not use a reserved word?
Re: Schema object named using Oracle Function [message #272542 is a reply to message #272541] Fri, 05 October 2007 08:29 Go to previous message
justaname23
Thanks. Few years ago, using oracle 9, one of my tables was named 'LN'. I had some random errors that I could not figure out how or why. Then on getting other people involved to look into the issue we figured it was 'cos of the table 'LN'. We renamed it and everything was fine. Ever since I never rename my tables using oracle keywords or functions, and besides all my tables have a prefix.

But this particular instance is an application that I have inherited and am to support it. I noticed a table with that name and hence the query.

But don't know if the same is true with 10, heard rumors that oracle probably permitted it.
Previous Topic: Problem with password
Next Topic: Random value
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Dec 09 17:44:00 CST 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.28815 seconds