Home » Server Options » RAC & Failsafe » Scale up vs Scale out
Scale up vs Scale out [message #271210] Sun, 30 September 2007 19:42 Go to next message
seethem
Currently we are running -->
* 2-node Oracle RAC 10gR2 (10.2.0.3.0) on AIX.
* 16G 2CPU Dual core per node (IBM p550)
* 6.5GB of memory is allocated to the (SGA + PGA) per node out of the 16G.

FACTS
=======

* IBM Tivoli Monitoring (ITM) tool continually show O/S memory and CPU being highly utilized. I am not too worried about the CPU averaging about 70-80% utilized.

At this point management is basically interested in scaling each node up as opposed to scaling out.

QUESTIONS
===========

Can you suggest areas to look for or things that the dba team can do to propose what the current memory or CPU state should be?

I am only interested in providing facts that would answer "the why we should scale up?" question.

Many thanks, in advance.
Re: Scale up vs Scale out [message #271370 is a reply to message #271210] Mon, 01 October 2007 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank Naude
Well, both methods (scale up & scale out) should solve your performance/capacity problem.

Some of the reasons why they might prefer to scale up:

* Not enough floor space to accommodate more servers
* Prefer managing fewer servers (less work)
* Cheaper - only buy the components (no need to buy another chassis)
* Interconnect already saturated
Etc.
Re: Scale up vs Scale out [message #271905 is a reply to message #271210] Wed, 03 October 2007 06:15 Go to previous message
seethem
Hi Frank,

What can I do to quantify the scaling up?
What can I get to say -- because the load is this, you need to get X GB more of RAM or Y CPUs more

Is there a study that can point me in the right direction that would say, if x,y,z are happening, chances are that your system is overloaded.

Thanks for your advise and patience.
Previous Topic: Cluster information - crs_stat -t
Next Topic: Where id cmcfg.ora go?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:18:02 CDT 2024